In order to be considered for inclusion in our Marketplace, whole fish and seafood products must meet the following baseline criteria.
All Fish & Seafood producers must provide us with a third party labor certification for fish or seafood sourced or processed outside of the US and Canada.
Fresh and frozen fish and seafood producers must be fully transparent, including identifying fishery, vessel(s), and catch method.
Canned fish producers must be fully transparent, including identifying fishery and catch method.
Specific guidelines for wild caught fish & seafood:
- The fishery must be MSC Certified or product must be Seafood Watch Green or Yellow (with evaluation of specific product) or Equivalent or has been evaluated on a case-by-case basis for most sustainable practices and minimal environmental impact.
- The seafood must be caught using the most sustainable, least environmentally damaging methods possible, taking into account bycatch, habitat destruction, and carbon footprint.
- The fish and seafood must be caught by US or Canadian flagged vessels and processed in the US or Canada or have third-party fair trade certification, with the exception of canned products.
- All shrimp are wild caught.
- All shrimp are domestically harvested and processed, or are Fair Trade certified.
Specific guidelines for farmed fish & seafood:
- The finfish we sell is limited to freshwater species domestically raised and processed, Seafood Watch Green rated only.
- Shellfish (other than shrimp, which are all wild caught) are Seafood watch green rated.
All of these guidelines apply to sushi, canned seafood, and anything that contains more than 5% fish or seafood by weight or volume.